FX markets USA agenda 2022
08:30 – 09:10
Crypto and FX – what value does it have to the finance industry?
- Does cryptocurrency displace any fiat currencies?
- Liquidity – how do new currencies impact the market?
- Could central banks consider cryptos as reserve currencies?
Managing director and CRO
SMBC Capital Markets & SMBC Nikko America
Ash Majid is Managing Director and Chief Risk Officer for SMBC Capital Markets, Inc. & SMBC Nikko Securities America, Inc. wholly owned subsidiaries of SMBC Americas Holdings, Inc. In his current role he oversees teams responsible for managing the risk from the two subsidiaries within the broader America’s Division risk management team. Prior to joining SMBC Capital Markets, Ash worked at Ernst and Young, LLP within their Quantitative Advisory Services and SunTrust Banks, Inc. with oversight of their derivatives trading desks' market risk. Ash holds a Doctorate degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering and a Master's degree in Quantitative and Computational Finance from Georgia Institute of Technology. Additionally, Ash holds FINRA Series 7 & 24 licenses.
09:15 – 09:20
09:20 – 09:45
Keynote: Central bank impacts on FX markets – navigating recessionary fears
09:45 – 10:15
Presentation/Fireside Chat: FX Pricing - How the growth of streaming helps provide liquidity and market efficiency
10:15 – 11:00
Panel: Volatility: the new phase of volatility trading
- Have the FX markets turned a corner in terms of volatility levels?
- How will this affect pricing/spreads?
- How is this being risk managed?
- How are banks and hedge funds positioning themselves in the options market?
11:00 – 11:30
Morning networking break
11:30 – 12:15
Panel: UMR phase 6 – to clear or not to clear
- Clear trades – free up cash for other growth-related strategies
- Connectivity – trades going straight to the CCPs
12:15 – 13:15
13:15 – 14:00
Panel: Settlement Risk – how can you reduce liquidity constraints?
- Payments – speeding up the PvP process
- Funding requirements – finding market efficiencies to better utilize remaining capital
- Scheduled settlement – spreading out settlement times to avoid liquidity issues
- Obligation splits – dividing larger payments into multiple smaller ones
Managing director and head of global EMD trading
Michael O'Brien is Managing Director, Head of Global EMD Trading at Artisan Partners and former Vice President and Director of Global Trading of Eaton Vance Management , overseeing a team responsible for best execution of all trades for the Global Fixed Income department as well as other foreign exchange spot and hedging trades for other Eaton Vance investment teams.
In addition, he is responsible for trading-related research and broker-dealer relationships for the Global Fixed Income department.
Prior to joining Eaton Vance in 2005, Michael was affiliated with Wellington Management Company for two years and spent three years at Brown Brothers Harriman.
Michael earned a B.A. in economics and Spanish from the Colby College and an M.S. in finance from the Carroll School of Management at Boston College. He is a CFA charter holder and a member of the Boston Security Analysts Society.
14:00 – 14:45
Panel: Trade automation – bringing FX into the modern world
- Cloud-based – how can off-site white label systems improve trader experience?
- Cost reduction – how all-in-one systems cut expenses of end-to-end workflows
- Centralized data – for better price discovery and risk management tools
14:45 – 15:30
Panel: Execution and transaction costs – a clearer look at real market conditions
- Fill Ratio – are orders being successfully filled?
- Price discovery – using real-time firm limit order liquidity market data
- Last look – why lower latency trading can eliminate the hidden risk of rejections
15:30 – 16:00
Afternoon networking break
16:00 – 16:45
Panel: FX Options – de-risking derivative strategies
- Set-up – understanding the necessary documentation and execution processes
- Vanilla vs. Exotic – how can these options be used as a hedge?
- Volume – are we seeing regular enough flows?
- Switching from voice – will options trading fully automate?
16:45 – 17:15
Adapting Standardized Approach to Counterparty Credit Risk (SA-CCR) – transition impacts on capital in the short-term, medium-term, and long-term
17:15 – 19:00